Pages

Wednesday 14 June 2017

Kiorahi

A large team game played between 2 teams, kioma and taniwha on a large circular field. Played for 4 quarters or 2 halves of a set time, teams alternate roles of Kīoma and Taniwha at half or quarter time. Kīoma score by touching Pou/s with the Kī (for potential points) then running the Kī through Te Roto and placing it down in Pawero to convert pou touches into points. Kīoma stop the other team, Taniwha.
Taniwha score by hitting the Tupu with the Kī. Kīoma will have Kaitiaki (guardians) around the Tupu to stop Taniwha from hitting the Tupu. Depending on which variation is being played, Taniwha must stop Kīoma from scoring by either touching, 2 handed touch, ripping the tag or tackling them in the appropriate area.
The level of effort I rate myself is an achieved, reasons for this is because my performance was really poor due to the fact that I was cold and the ground was muddy so it was hard to maintain grip. But throughout the time playing I got better. Before I got better I was not showing rise values throughout the game because I was cheating and this why I rate myself an achieved because I bounced back from that and did well. During the end when I bounced back from my mistakes I defended my opponents and scored points.


Equipment- fun and enjoyment+ fitness-

Equipment had a negative effect on my participation because I did not treat it with respect, an example was me hitting the brand new pou's and it almost broke. Moving on fun and enjoyment had a positive effect on the game I enjoyed it a lot, reasons for this was because I was playing as a team member sharing the ball, I thought my performance was great and so was others. Fitness had a negative effect, signs that showed this was when I was kind of lazy on defence and when I couldn't be bothered chasing.

Things I can do in the future to increase my participation is to reduce my stamina so I do not get tired while playing. Another one is trying to play to the best of my ability and lastly playing fair according to the rules.           

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ivan, thanks for an honest reflection. There seem to be many factors which affected your participation during Ki O Rahi! The important part which is missing is HOW these factors affected your participation, did you participate more or less? Even though your description of the game is accurate and in depth, I would like to double check this is in your own words? Remember, it is important to paraphrase things we have researched, and we should reference websites/articles we use. Overall, a great reflection, look forward to the next one!

Tania said...

Kia ora Ivan,
My name is Tania and I will be the Facilitator who comments on your blog. You may recognise my name from the emails I have been sending out to get Tuhi Mai Tuhi Atu started. I live in Whangarei but do spend quite a bit of time in Auckland for work. Great to check out your blog for the first time. I look forward to following your learning at Tamaki College. I have not played or even heard of Kiorahi before so thanks for sharing a description of the game. You have reflected well on how you can do better in the future, def a good idea to play to the best of your ability and play fair. Are there any other sports that you play on a regular basis for a school team or community team?
Tania

Unknown said...

Kia ora Ivan, My name is Leroy and I am one of the Physical Education teachers here at Papakura High School. I really enjoy teaching our students about Ki o rahi and sharing with them the legend of Ki o Rahi. Do you know the story behind the maori traditional game?

By understanding the legend of ki o rahi will give you a deeper understanding of the game.

Look forward to reading more about your learning at Tamaki College.

Nga mihi

Post a Comment